The Ravel Castle was built in 1147 and his first occupant was Pierre de Ravel. It became royal propriety under Philippe III Le Hardi and Philippe IV Le Bel. Because of inheritance, it belonged to the Chauvigny, Amboise, de la Rochefoucanît, Combourcier du Terrail and d’Estaing. It has been bought in 1806 by Charles de Riberolles de Beaucène and, at that time, the same family is the owner. This powerful fortress of the Middle Age with its 12th century donjon and its 5 towers which one is octagonal has been improved at the end of the 18th century by the admiral d’Estaing of which we can admire numerous souvenirs of the navy.
3 new rooms are opened for visits since July, 1st 2000:
A part of the stables of the 17th century
The States room with one of the first 13th century heraldic frieze of France
A 19th century ceramics exposition made in the castle. The whole building is well conserved and a huge terrace drawn by Le Nôtre dominates the Limagne lowland and shows visitors the Dômes chain and the Monts Dore.